Women in Focus: Inspirational Women of the Learned Societies
To celebrate International Women’s Day, we collaborated on a unique behind-the-scenes tour of the Learned Societies of Burlington House to introduce visitors to the female pioneers that blazed a trail for women in arts and science.
This special tour featured significant women in the history of the Learned Societies, situated in the buildings surrounding the Burlington House courtyard. Highlights included:
- the first elected female Royal Academician,
- early female Fellows of the Society of Antiquaries of London,
- female trailblazers in the Natural Sciences at The Linnean Society,
- the women who made pioneering contributions to the burgeoning new science of geology at The Geological Society,
- a centenary celebration of women being elected to full Fellowship of The Royal Astronomical Society and
- the inspirational female scientists celebrated in the Royal Society of Chemistry’s 175th anniversary exhibition.
This was a free, although limited, event that took visitors on a remarkable tour of each learned society.